Frederiksborg Palace is a palace located in Hillerød, Denmark. It was built as a residence for King Christian IV between 1602 and 1620. Frederiksborg Castle is the largest renaissance castle in Scandinavia. The palace is located on three small islands in the middle of Slotsøen (Palace Lake) and is adjoined by a spectacular formal garden in the Baroque style. Since 1878, Frederiksborg Castle has housed the Museum of National History and since 1693, the Palace Church has been used as the knight’s chapel for the Order of the Elephant and the Order of Dannebrog.
On 18 November 1995, Prince Joachim of Denmark and Alexandra Christina Manley were married in the Palace Church. Following their divorce in 2005, Alexandra was created Countess of Frederiksborg by Queen Margrethe II in honour of where her marriage to Joachim took place.